Dripping Springs


Dripping Springs was founded by three families who packed their wagons and left Mississippi in search of a new life in Texas in the late fall of 1853. The three families were those of Dr. Joseph McKegg Pound and his wife Sarah, John L. Moss and his wife Indiana nicknamed Nannie, and John Lee Wallace and his wife Malvina. The Pounds were newlyweds, but the Wallaces and Mosses already had children. Sarah and Nannie were sisters. In January 1854, they settled in Wallace Mountain, 30 miles from the capital of Texas. Dr. Pound was one of the first doctors in the area and John Moss was appointed the first postmaster on June 5, 1857. In order to have a post office a community name must be present, so Nannie Moss officially named it Dripping Springs from the bubbling aquifer at the Milk House Branch of the Edwards Aquifer, a gathering place for the Tonkawa Indians. Dripping Springs became a stagecoach stop and part of a freight line that ran between Austin and Fredericksburg, (Freeman, 2011).

Dripping Springs got its name from the bubbling aquifer, which can be found by the Milk House Branch of the Edwards Aquifer. 

Dr. Pound Home, Dripping Springs, TX

Related Articles

No related articles